Translate to multiple languages

Subscribe to my Email updates

https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=helgeScherlundelearning
Enjoy what you've read, make sure you subscribe to my Email Updates

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Remember our students when you go to the polls by Lindsay Rayner

I came across this really pertinent article by Lindsay Rayner. She is an adjunct reading instructor at Zane State College and is currently working toward a reading endorsement from The University of Toledo.

As a teacher, I have a love-hate relationship with technology. I love that I can post student grades online. I hate that many of my students lack home computers to access those grades. I love that my students can use the Internet to conduct research. I hate that many of them instead use the Internet to commit plagiarism. Depending upon its use, technology has the potential to either be a great educational equalizer or yet another symbol of the divide between our richest and our poorest students. It can be either a valuable educational tool or a crutch for both teachers and students.

Distance learning technology allows students to enroll in classes and even earn entire degrees without setting foot in a brick-and-mortar building. For instance, here in Muskingum County, high school students are taking courses in Chinese from teachers miles away. They are doing so without the expense of adding another full-time teacher, saving taxpayers' money and providing language skills that will help students succeed in a global economy. At Zane State, students are able to use distance-learning technology to complete bachelor's degrees at other colleges.

Source:  Zanesville Times Recorder